Choosing a Contractor: 10 Questions to Ask Before Hiring Your Contractor
1. WHAT IS YOUR BACKGROUND AND HOW EXPERIENCED ARE YOU?
You don’t want your home to be a training ground for someone trying to learn the business. RMJ has over 17 years experience working on both residential & commercial projects from $3,000 to $1,000,000.
2. ARE YOU LICENSED TO WORK IN MY CITY OR COUNTY?
Contractors are required to be licensed in the localities in which they work. RMJ is licensed to work in Oregon– CCB# 74293.
3. WILL YOU FURNISH ME WITH A LIST OF YOUR PAST CUSTOMERS?
Don’t ask for one or two references, any contractor can provide that. Ask for at least 5 names. Then call at least three. RMJ will furnish every potential customer with a long list of references.
4. WILL YOU FURNISH ME WITH DETAILED SPECIFICATIONS?
More problems and misunderstandings develop in this area than anywhere else. Be sure you clearly understand what the contractor is doing and not doing. RMJ reviews our specs in thorough detail with each customer prior to contracting.
5. WHAT HAPPENS TO MY JOB IF YOU, THE CONTRACTOR, GETS ILL OR BECOMES DISABLED?
Although the size of a company does not necessarily ensure a quality job, you want to be sure the firm has enough depth to successfully complete your project in a timely manner. RMJ has the personnel to address any unforeseen situations.
6. WHAT INSURANCE DO YOU CARRY TO PROTECT ME IN CASE AN ACCIDENT OCCURS?
If someone gets hurt on the job, and it can happen, you may have to pay for that worker's injuries and support unless your contractor is properly insured. Request a copy of your contractor’s insurance policy and make sure the coverage is adequate. RMJ is fully covered by Worker’s Comp & General Liability.
7. WHAT KIND OF GUARANTEE DO YOU OFFER AND IS IT IN WRITING?
Read and question the guarantee. At RMJ we offer an extensive written guarantee.
8. HOW MUCH MONEY DO I NEED TO PAY UP FRONT?
This varies greatly between companies, as a general rule you should not expect to make a large down payment. At RMJ the first payment is due upon acceptance of the contract and is generally prorated at 2 week intervals for the length of the project.
9. HOW WILL MY PROJECT BE SUPERVISED? Supervision of a company’s project is subject to the depth and experience of their personnel. At RMJ an experienced person is assigned to lead every job from start to finish.
10. WILL SOMEONE BE WORKING ON MY PROJECT EVERY DAY?
With today’s trend to rely more on trade contractors and less on employees this is a very important question. At RMJ there may be times when no one is on site due to scheduling issues. However, we strive to minimize these and maintain excellent communications regarding your project status.
Ask to see your contractors claim record.
RMJ has an impeccable claims record- not a single claim has ever been filed.